The responsibility of choosing a funeral plan provider can feel very overwhelming, especially because the majority of people have never arranged a funeral before.
Traditional funerals are not always the most suitable way reflect the unique relationships and lives our loved ones, which is why many are now turning to the fuss-free alternative of direct cremation.
There are no legal requirements to even hold a funeral at all - only that a death must be registered and the cremation must occur in a licensed facility or a suitable plot is used for burial.
Take your time when deciding which funeral plan provider to go with, you don’t want to waste your time or money on a service that isn’t suited to you and the needs of your family.
Following the publication earlier by Funeral Plan Report by Fairer Finance, Pure Cremation has drawn up a 10 point checklist to help individuals get the right end result:
- Know who you are dealing with – carry out research in advance.
- Have a clear understanding of your own wishes and make sure this is documented as this could have a bearing on the ultimate cost of the funeral.
- What is included and what isn’t – if this isn’t crystal clear don’t buy
- What exactly is covered by any Guarantee – be suspicious of any provider claiming to offer a 100% guarantee and read the small print
- What provision is made to ensure the plan holders’ money is kept safe
- Ask how much commission is paid to the person selling the plan as this can seriously reduce the sum available for the funeral itself
- Always check that your chosen funeral director accepts the type of plan you are considering
- If the plan is Trust-based you might want to check out who the Trustees are and which are directly connected to the provider
- If the plan is insurance-based check how long before your payments in exceed the payment you’ll get out, along with the other T’s & C’s
- Transparency is key – ensure that the funeral costs are easily available e.g. online
The Pure Cremation team are committed to accuracy, transparency and great value. Go to our Funeral Plans page or chat to the team to find out more about the Pure Cremation Funeral Plans.
Once you fully understand your chosen plan you must ensure that your family does too – it’s the best way to make the most of the gift they never knew they needed.